The National Testing Agency (NTA) conducts this national-level entrance exam (NEET) for admissions to various medical courses like MBBS, BAMS, BHMS, BDS, BUMS and BAMS. At present, it is a single-level entrance exam for all medical courses, thus scrapping JIPMER and AIIMS. Moreover, this exam is also compulsory for Indian candidates to pursue medicine abroad. NEET is a highly competitive exam with approximately 16 lakh registrations every year. Here, let’s take a brief look at the NEET exam pattern:
- The entrance exam comprises 200 multiple-choice questions with four options for each question.
- The subjects covered are – zoology, botany, physics and chemistry. Each subject includes two sections – sections A and B.
- Section A has 35 compulsory questions, and section B has 15 questions, out of which 10 has to be attempted. Thus, 45 questions are to be attempted in each subject.
- Each correct answer carries 4 marks ,and thus, a total of 180 questions will fetch 720 marks. Likewise, every incorrect answer will cost a negative mark (-1).
This exam is being conducted in approximately 543 cities inside India and 14 cities outside India. Furthermore, it is conducted in 13 different languages.
Dates to Remember
The recent notification has released some important dates, but it does not include the result date and the counselling dates, which will be announced soon after the examination. The following are some important dates pertaining to NEET 2022 exam:
|Application begins on||06 April 2022|
|Application ends on||15 May 2022 (up to 9 pm)|
|Last date for fee payment||15 May 2022 (up to 11.50 pm)|
|Exam date||17 July 2022|
|Result and counselling dates||To be announced soon|
New Revisions in NEET Exam 2022
- The exam duration has been changed from 3 hours to 3 hours 20 minutes (200 minutes). The examination time is from 2 pm to 5.20 pm. Thus, candidates have to answer 180 questions in 200 minutes.
- The last date for application has been postponed from 6th of May to 15 May. Likewise, the last date for application fee payment has also been moved from 7 May to 15 till 11:50 pm.
- As per the recent notifications, there is no upper age limit and thus no restrictions on the number of attempts.
- The application fee has been revised as follows – for general candidates, it is ₹1,600; for General-OBC-NCL/EWS, it is ₹1,500, and for ST/SC/Third Gender/PwD candidates, it is ₹900. Also, for candidates outside India, it has been increased to ₹8,500.
- The 15% All India Quota (AIQ) is now joined by the states of Andhra Pradesh and Telangana.
Any candidate who is 17 years of age (on or before 31/12/2022) and has appeared or cleared Class 12 or equivalent examination can apply for this exam. Also, English, chemistry, physics and biology/biotechnology must have been the mandatory subjects in Class 12.
The application process for NEET (UG) exam 2022 is only through online mode. First, candidates must log in to the official website of NTA to view the application form. The NEET application form 2022 will need the following details – Name, DOB, Nationality, Educational qualification, Category, Contact details and Exam centre details. Then required documents are to be uploaded in a proper format for a successful application.
- Latest postcard size photograph (10-200 kb)
- Latest passport size photograph (10-200 kb)
- Signature of the candidate (4-30 kb)
- Right and left thumb impression (10-200 kb)
- Category certificate (50-300 kb)
- Class 10 marksheet (50-300 kb)
- Valid ID proof (50-300 kb)
Finally, the application fee has to be paid to mark the registration process complete. Application forms with any fabricated or false details will be rejected and also will be debarred from the other examinations conducted by the NTA.
The admit card will be provided a few days before the examination. Candidates who cleared the written test will proceed to the counselling process. Dates and other details regarding the counselling process will be announced soon.